1.07.2011

The Simple Life: Homemade Playdough

It has been a busy few days for me as I am working extra hours this week with the family I nanny for, and since we are potty training, we have been staying close to the house. I am really trying to simplify things here at work and at home, in an effort to cleanse for the new year. For the kids in my life, this means natural playthings, using our imaginations, Waldorf education, and getting outdoors as much as possible. This idea ties into the vintage category for me, as I feel like life was simpler back when, without so many media influences and plastic noise-making toys to entertain us and our children. I have gotten a great response from the girls, and it is making me feel more at peace with my current job. This week we made homemade playdough together, and I thought I would post the recipe for anyone who has little ones in your life. You just can't beat the smell and feel of freshly made, warm playdough between your fingers (and in our case, toes!) I was able to get all the ingredients for this in the bulk bins at our local co-op, so it was a fun walking field trip and math lesson (measuring, counting) as well.

Homemade Playdough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
food coloring or glitter (optional)

Have the children mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl while you boil the water on the stovetop (I used the tea kettle.) Pour the hot water and oil over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Place the dough on a flat surface and knead until cool enough for little hands. Add cookie cutters, rollers, scissors, or potato mashers to the mix and you are set for hours of peace, quiet, and creativity.

-Twill

No comments:

Post a Comment