12.20.2010

Recipe + Vintage Apron: Soft Molasses Men

Right around this time of year before she passed away, my grandma and I had the holiday tradition of making tea rings, sugar, and molasses cookies. This is her gingerbread recipe, it turns out quite cakey and soft and very molassesey. It is perfect with a smudge of vanilla frosting on top. I made them myself this year for the first time and even though they didn't turn out quite as delicious as hers, I was happy to keep the tradition rolling. I am really starting to appreciate old recipes passed along to me, especially when they are written in the loved ones own handwriting. What are your favorite holiday cooking traditions?

-Twill

Soft Molasses Rolled Cookies from the kitchen of Grandma Marlene

Makes 3 dozen cookies

You will need:
























1 cup cooking oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp soda dissolved in 3/4 cup hot water
6 cups flour

Directions:

Beat ingredients through salt in a large bowl until well blended
Stir water and soda  into molasses mixture
Stir 6 cups sifted flour into mixture in 2 cup portions, blending well
Cover dough with wax paper and chill in refrigerator overnight
Flour flat surface and put about a 2 cup portion in the middle--roll out to 1/4 inch thickness
Dip cookie cutters into flour and cut cookies, placing them on a greased cookie sheet with spatula
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until cookie rises back when touched lightly.
Frost!



Vintage Holiday Apron from Etsy

1 comment:

  1. These look so yummy! I love soft and chewy cookies. I think it's so sweet that you have the recipe in your grandma's handwriting! My holiday baking tradition is to get together with my brother (he's the baker in the family) and have a whole day of cookie baking. The blizzard last weekend got in the way of those plans though...

    ReplyDelete