11.14.2010

Recipe + Vintage Apron: Wild Rice

Minnesota Wild Rice Hot Dish
Wild Rice is one of those amazing autumn ingredients that I rarely use during other times of year. Today, I was feeling in love with all things Minnesota. Overjoyed with the beauty of this state and the warmth of the people. I decided to make a meal dedicated to only MN grown and loved ingredients. Starting with MN cultivated wild rice. My mother makes a mean wild rice, every thanksgiving I look forward to her delicacy. So this one is dedicated to my mother, in Vietnam, who I am sure would love to be enjoying some MN grown food.






Ingredients:

1 cup MN cultivated wild rice
7 cups (Minnesota) tap water
1 cups fresh locally bog grown cranberries or dried cranberries for more sweetness
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 bunch of celery
3 sprigs of rosemary
3 sprigs of sage
1 clove of garlic
10 Minnesota grown mushrooms
1 small crisp apple from the apple orchard
drizzle of olive oil






























































Preheat oven to 375. Wash and drain wild rice, add to boiling water for 20 minutes until partially cooked. I like to add some sage and rosemary to the water to infuse the flavor. Saute the mushrooms, celery and pumpkin seeds. Then put wild rice and water into an oven casserole dish (or if you are from MN "hotdish"). Add the rest of the ingredients chopped up, put into oven for about an hour then drain and uncover for another 15 minutes.


a few notes: since this is a new and made up recipe, next time, I  might use dried cranberries or less of the fresh ones, their taste, while exciting, was overpoweringly bitter.

This would be a great addition to any Thanksgiving, and a happy departure from the meat based holiday.

-Ladybird

4 comments:

  1. yummy! this looks so delicious! i've got a bag full of MN wild rice (on second thought, it might be from across the border in Wisc.) that i need to use. we are cooking thanksgiving dinner this year so i might try this as a side.
    thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great new way to use wild rice. And if you want something creamy, just add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup to replace some of the water. In that case I might not use the sage or cranberries. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I (Twill) tried this recipe with a few tweaks with great success. I sauteed the mushrooms, celery, and garlic with a little olive oil while the wild rice boiled, then I added the par-boiled drained rice to the veggies, added some juice sweetened dried cranberries and chopped sage and rosemary, some Pacific Naturals condensed cream of mushroom soup and a splash of milk, then baked for 40 minutes. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to add MR.Dash spice mix. I have to get busy to make this for Thanksgiving next week. I brought some wild rice to Vietnam just for this special meal.

    ReplyDelete