12.26.2010

Recipe + Vintage Apron: Red Kale Tortilla Soup

This recipe was passed down from my father, an amazing cook who hails from Mexico. Even though I have been vegetarian for ten years, he still insists that it needs to be made with chicken and chicken stock. So for your meat eaters out there, feel free to follow his advice. I make this soup a lot in the winter, it is my family's version of chicken noodle soup. To me this is comfort food to the max, I had it when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, when I would get a cold as a kid, or just to warm up from the below freezing weather.

My take on my dad's tortilla soup! Enjoy.


Ingredients:
One carton of organic vegetable broth, low sodium
Baby Bella mushrooms about 20 chopped
Half a bunch of red kale
One bunch of celery chopped
Half a bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
3 cans of diced tomatoes (with basil or oregano is great too)
6 limes (fresh is a must, do not use lime juice from a can, yuck!)
Cumin to taste (about 2 tablespoons)
Olive oil
2 Bay Leaves
Garlic (1 or 2 cloves)
A little sea salt to taste

The Fixins'
Corn tortillas
Olive oil
Avocado












Saute the garlic and mushrooms in olive oil for about 8 minutes












then just add the rest of the chopped ingredients and bring to a boil


























While the soup is cooking, cut your corn tortillas into strips, brush with olive oil and put on a baking pan. Let bake until crisp for about 12 minutes at 375.











Serve hot with tortilla crisps and avocado chunks.
-Ladybird

No comments:

Post a Comment