This recipe is delicious and beautiful-the trick is boiling the pasta in half red wine, half water, so that the noodles soak up the flavor and color of the wine as they cook. You can make a whole package of pasta in the wine/water mixture and freeze the leftovers so you don't waste the wine, and because it is whole wheat pasta, it is a bit heartier, and freezes/thaws well.
8 oz whole wheat noodles
Half bottle of cheap red wine
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 cup fresh mushrooms
A few sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
Splash of cream or half and half (optional)
Grated parmesan cheese
Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place walnuts on cookie sheet in a single layer and bake for 8-10 minutes until toasty.
2. In a large pot, bring half bottle of wine and an equal part of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain when al dente.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start releasing their liquid.
4. Add spinach, cooking just until bright green and slightly wilted, add rosemary, walnuts, and splash of cream (if using).
5. Toss pasta with sauce until well coated. Top with parmesan and pepper to taste.
Mighty Swell sale.