9.12.2010

Recipe+Vintage Apron: Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp

Just having moved into my new Apartment, I decided to have a little gathering with my family. For this gathering, I wanted to make something fall inspired, as the weather is just turning fall and rhubarb and strawberries are in abundance. So I settled on making a strawberry rhubarb crisp. I used a recipe from my favorite cooking blog, 101 cookbooks.

This recipe is fairly simple. I took out pine nuts, port wine and pepper from her recipe.

Ingredients:
butter for greasing skillet/pan (about 1 tablespoon)
3/4 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup  natural cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup natural cane sugar
1/2 lb.  strawberries, cut into quarters
12 ounces trimmed rhubarb, sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the flour, oats, sugar, and salt together. Add in butter, I heated mine a tad to make it easier to add. Then mix well and flatten and put in freezer to chill.

Make the filling by adding together the cornstarch and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Then, add the strawberries and rhubarb, and toss until evenly coated.

Transfer the filling to the prepared pan, remove the topping from the freezer, and crumble across the top of the filling - make sure you have big pieces and small.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until the topping is golden and the juices are bubbling!

-Ladybird


No comments:

Post a Comment